Monday, February 1, 2010

Purses-Collector or Carrier???????

Now since tax time is rolling around and I am going to have some extra money, I am already planning on my next purse purchase. Some people may think because I carry name brand purses such as Coach, Louis Vuitton, or Dooney and Bourke that I must carry the name or carry these type of purses to show others how much I spent or how much money I must have as a person. But actually people like me are pretty rare. I would classify myself as a collector not just a carrier. I carry and collect name brand bags because of the quality, style, and themes of the collection that is debuting at that point in time. I have owned other brands of purses such as Liz Claiborne and Saks Fifth Avenue. However, my favorite purses are those of major name brands because they have better color assortment, themes-such as Dooney and Bourke’s heart collection, bumble collection, and the quality is overall by far the main reason why I buy name brand, designer handbags.

I purchased my first designer purse at the age of 18. I had some money saved up and decided that it was time for me to get into the big leagues if I was going to start carrying purses. See at this time I was a carrier, not a collector because I had no idea that this purchase would soon turn into a hobby and a love for all types of purses. I remember walking into the Carson Pirie Scott in the mall and looking at all the purses available. But what really caught my eye was a brown and tan Coach Hobo bag. It was small, cute, and it was a great starter purse for an older teen. I looked at the price tag and the purse was $200.00. I had $500.00 in my pocket and my budget was $150.00. I was so smitten with this purse it had Italian leather, a guarantee-so if the purse becomes faulty, stained, or has a defect it can be returned for repair or credit, and it was everything I wanted for myself. It had brown Coach C’s in the middle of the purse, and the buckle, handle, and clasp that went over the purse was tan. I sat there in front of the mirror for twenty minutes posing with this bag and decided that this purse would be mine. When I walked out of that store I was the happiest person alive.

Fast forward six years later and I still get all giddy, excited, and a burst of energy when I know I am about to buy a purse. Shortly after purchasing that brown Coach hobo, I then purchased a black Coach tote. Once I purchased my second bag I knew I was a collector. Before every purchase I would check regularly and seasonally to see which bags and collections were debuting and which brand of purse I would like to own next. Now I have 22 purses that consist of Kathy Vander Zeeland, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, and Louis Vuitton. My newest purchase is a dark pink Kathy bag with braided rope handles, and it has a gold Kathy plate with rhinestones in the middle. (I even had a guy say that my bag is cute!!!!) I do not think my infatuation with purses will ever let up or change and I really do not want it too. So far I am thinking about purchasing a Chanel bag preferable pink and white because I like purses that nobody really has. I want something that fits me and every purse I buy screams my name, “Tati, right here, yes me, the denim Louis Vuitton.” And yes, I do have a denim Louis Vuitton bag, hahaha. For some fashion is just a trend, or something that they do seasonally for others like myself fashion breathes life into me and helps me define who I am. So for all you avid purse carriers and collectors alike this one is for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. It seems as though we have something in common, however I collect shoes. My three-bedroom house has now become a two bedroom with a walk in shoe closet. I have so many shoes that I had to convert one of the bedrooms into my shoe haven. Not unlike you I only purchase shoes of quality and with a minimum heel height of 3”. I quickly pass buy the $9.99 shoe store while making a b-line to Neimans, Saks, and Nordstrom. I too am looking for something exotic and cute. I’m not into the kind of shoe that everyone wants or must have. The 3” rule helps to eliminate many of the “common, everyday” styles.

    My first pair of really expensive shoes was a gift. I just couldn’t justify making such a purchase of my own. They were a pair of gold stilettos with cutouts, (I still have them). Once I owned my first pair there was no turning back. Now I often purchase high-end shoes with even higher heels, with no regrets or remorse. You can never have too many shoes!!! And incase you were wondering, I can wear a different pair of shoes everyday for a year. And still counting.

    ReplyDelete